Thursday, November 15, 2007

Patience Pays

I got to teach Donny a good lesson today. For a long time now he has had no patience. When we're having to wait somewhere I usually send him outside until it's our turn because he's so bad at waiting. He gets so frustrated that he becomes verbally abusive.

So today was medicine day. At the pharmacy that we have to use the wait is usually about an hour. I took a textbook in with me to study while I waited. I left Donny in the car to try to nap.

After I dropped off the prescriptions I sat down in the waiting area and started to study. I heard a lot of grumbling around me about the long waits, but that's par for course. I realized that I'd never remember what I was reading so I closed my book and started talking to the people near me. This is usually a good way to get amusing stories for later.

All the people around me were normal and so time seemed to drag by, but I continued to sit there hopefully. At some point Donny came in to check on me. I let him know that I was fine and sent him back outside.

Finally the really nice lady that I prefer to deal with caught my eye and let me know that I would be next. I gathered up my things and stood behind the "privacy line" to wait my turn. Donny came back in so I let him know that we were next and told him to wait in the car for me.

When I got to the window the lady made a comment that led me to figure out that we had been bumped up in the line a little because she appreciated how patient I was. It was obvious that she was frazzled and so I felt bad for her when it turned out that his medicine had somehow gotten strung out between four or five different places. She even found my refill in the process. I told her that I'd have to come back for my meds since I had failed to bring my insurance card with me. She asked me if it was up to date and I said yes. So she told me that she'd vouch for me and let me get my meds while I was there anyway.

So after this was all over with I was talking to Donny about it. I finally had proof for him that a little bit of patience pays off in the long run. In fact, if everybody would be more patient there would be a lot less crabby people in the world. Or at least I think so.

1 comment:

mielikki said...

Yeah, I agree. Everybody is in this "I want it NOW" attitude, but the sad fact is, waiting is a part of life.
That doesn't mean I don't get antsy myself after certain amounts of time, though. I'll have to work on that!