Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Three Years

It's amazing how long three years can feel. And it's amazing how short it can be. My husband and I just celebrated our third anniversary. I guess the doctor who thought he wouldn't make it to the first was wrong. It's been good, it's been bad, but mostly it's been life.

I love my husband with all my heart, but he drives me crazy. Adjusting to living with someone is a long process. Especially if you're both stubborn and both used to getting your own way. We still haven't gotten a final verdict on a couple of issues. I have a feeling that they're here to stay.

A couple months ago my husband was visiting his daughters who live a little over a thousand miles away. One morning a few days before he was to come home I got a call from my stepdaughter that my husband was in the hospital and not expected to live. It was an awful time for us. After two weeks in the hospital they decided that he was well enough to be sick at home. That's the most grateful that I've ever been to have him home.

Today I was thinking about all this. I realized that it's likely that we won't get to celebrate our tenth anniversary. And that's why it's important to make a big deal out of the anniversaries we have. It's also why I have to tell him every day how much I love him. Just in case.

No comments: