Wednesday, June 13, 2007

The verdict

Well, the verdict is in on the pie. Flavor is good, texture is off. One part of the equation is easy to fix, there's too much cornstarch. I measured everything this time so next time it'll be easy to cut back.

The problem that I don't know how to fix is the texture of the rhubarb. In the first pie the rhubarb was deemed too crunchy. So this time I precooked my rhubarb and it lost all texture completely. I think that next time I won't precook the rhubarb, I'll just lower my oven temperature and cook it longer. That might do the trick.

The recipe (as it was used today) is as follows:

8 1/2 stalks rhubarb
1/4 cup butter or margarine (I used margarine)
1 1/2 cups sugar (Splenda could be substituted)
4 tablespoons cornstarch (try 3 instead)
2 teaspoons vanilla
1/2 teaspoon Cinnamon

Clean and slice rhubarb. (I'm thinking that playing with size of slice might help the cook time problems that I'm having.)
Combine all ingredients in saucepan or microwave safe bowl. Cook until rhubarb is soft.
Put filling in unbaked pie shell and add top crust.
Slice top crust to allow for ventilation.
Bake at 425 for 25 minutes or until crust is golden brown.

The first pie I didn't precook my filling and so it baked at 350 for about 30 minutes. I've forgotten the name of what I'm trying to think of. The pie had one of those toppings that you make with butter, brown sugar and flour. When it was just getting to be too brown I took the pie out of the oven.

I think that the next pie will be baked at 300 until golden brown. It'll also have less cornstarch.

No comments: